Thursday, February 20, 2014

Blog # 7

Blog # 7

Listen to the recording of your oral history interview. Write up some observations about what you have learned about interviewing.


For this assignment I conducted the interview a little differently. Since I was not in class on Tuesday I interviewed someone sitting next to me in the library, and I did not record our conversation because we had to speak to each other quietly. Before I started this assignment I read a few classmates blogs to see how their interviews went. Most people said that they wish that they had time to prepare for the interview which made me feel much better because I did have time to prepare questions. This was helpful for me because I set up two sets of questions. 1 set included questions I would ask if he told me that he did have a valentine and the other set was questions I was going to ask if he told me he did not have a valentine.


Once the interviewing process was over I still felt as though I was still unprepared. The interview was about two minutes long because I did not know what else to talk to him about. I did have some improve questions for him which I felt made the conversation flow easy, but it was quick and to the point . I think that my interview was different from everyone else's because for me there was no teacher there to instruct us on a time frame. One thing I have to say about interviewing is that I don't think one can truly  be 100% prepared for an interview because you will never know what information the other person will give you. Its like you have to just go with the flow and stop worrying about how awkward it is talking to someone that you don't know.


For my next interview , I hope to have a conversation with the person about what my topic is and then  start with questions. This way the participant will feel comfortable with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment