Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Blog # 15

Blog # 15 Short Analysis




Imagine that it is your first time teaching in a classroom. The first thing that you will think about is how you will teach each lesson, but the true challenges of a class room are solving issues. Anytime we enter a new environment we observe our surroundings. By using observational tools we are able to find issues and figure out how we can address these issues based on the circumstances.  I interviewed a third grade teacher in hopes to find a better understanding of how observation plays a big part in solving classroom issues . The teacher talks about many things she has observed that allow her to recognize that there is an issue with in her student’s weather it is a learning issue, and issues with their peers. I will talk a little about these two issues that she was faced with during her first year teaching.

Writing Lesson

While trying to teach a writing lesson, the teacher talks about how she found an issue within herself and with her students. Being that she was a college writing professor before working in an elementary school she tried approaching writing the way she did with her college students in order to see what works and what doesn’t. As a result she saw that many students were shutting down and having a melt down because they found the writing assignment to be a challenge. Observing that her students found this challenging she changed the way she taught writing. She says “ I do stuff on the board, I realized with them I have to be very specific. I have to tell them “ok in your introduction you need a 3 specific reasons in college this is called a thesis”. In third grade this is your listing sentence very similar just the language is different. I have to break it down for them.  We do outlines, four squares, maps, and some of them do bullet points.” 

Another challenge/issue the teacher was faced with while doing a writing assignment was when she got a new student in her class whom did not know English.  As  a teacher she has to make sure all of her students were growing, so she used the writing assignment as an observational tool. 

Teacher: She’ll even do the writing with us , like the other kids, you’ll see the students that are fluent in English they’ll just shut down with the writing and she’s attempting it even if its spelled wrong I’m like I don’t care even if it’s spelled wrong get your ideas out  I just want to see what you know just to really see if she’s understanding what’s being taught and she does. So that’s I think that’s….

Me: So your basically telling her even though your answers may be incorrect just write your ideas down

Teacher: Yea if its writing I don’t care if your sentence structure is off , like if you’re missing a common I just want to see if she understands the question being asked and if she can give me some details. So of course I have to shuffle and change my expectations for other students but I pause I just think it’s amazing how she’s learning so much.

 

As the school year continues she gets to know her students a little better . Observing the students conversations amongst their peers the teacher learns that they love the video game called mind craft.  Using Mind craft as a motivational tool, the teacher pretends that she plays that game too and asks her students to write a how to essay. Making this connection with her students she then comes up with a brilliant idea and explains why she thought this would solve the writing issue for many of her students. Here is what she says :

Teacher: Oh yea they love video games, they love it. I told them Mrs. Castillo plays mind craft, I just said it , and I don’t play mind craft. Haha I uh made myself learn because of them.

Flora: Oh really? Hahaha

Teacher: Yea just because they are obsessed with that game, they wrote about it in their essays. I’m like faking it, oh yea I love it ha-ha

Flora: Ha-ha

Teacher: Then I told them to write me a how to essay, like how to survive in the game and

Flora: Hahaha that’s amazing I think that’s a good way to get them to write

Teacher: Yea find something that they are interested in and try to run with it. I find that helpful with college students too.

 

Students Getting Along

In a classroom there are many students, all which have different personalities. It is very common for students to not get along 100% of the time. So how can you know if students are not getting along? Is it something that we need to be told in order to know or can we observe these things? If we can know that there is a problem with a student simply by observing then what signs are we looking for? The teacher talks about different signs that let her know her students are having an issue and then different approaches she has used in order to solve that issue so it does not affect their learning.

Teacher: You’ll see it; you’ll see the body language. You’ll see some of them shut down you’ll see the tears in their eyes, you’ll see those pushing books on the floor, pencil shavings everywhere. Im like what is going on in this group?! He said this she said that he licked his fingers and touched me. Oh my gosh it goes on and on. So I talk to them, I give them maybe a minute or so in the hallway, it’s my little office.. I just let them let it out and vent let I tout let me know what’s going on .

Me: Yea

Teacher: Um I, I work with the guidance counselor if it’s something I really don’t have a clue what im doing, or sometimes I will run to another teacher . If it’s something im really really concerned about I run to the principle. Um, and but most of time if they are arguing  I ask them to move their desk away from each other and try to get them to refocus. it’s harder when they  shut down and are sobbing, I let them go to the bathroom, wash their face come back, and If they’re you know like come back and get ready to learn bc if you don’t do the work you’ll have to take it home.

Flora: Right, you’re giving them a moment to breath

Teacher: yea and if they don’t then they will shut down the whole day and I think im very aware with the students that have issues with other kids. They usually tell me anyway. But um….. I think what’s hard is when you have  a quiet student that holds things in and doesn’t say anything , barely talks so you can’t figure out what’s going on in their minds that’s when I try to get the parents , like is there anything going on? Do they say anything at home? Communication is huge, weather I’m communicating with the kids, guidance counselor, or parents; I just have to communicate all the time. But yea I shuffle their desks around to answer the question. I give them choices I think, it’s your choice you can sit there arguing with each other or we can step out into the hall way I’ll hear your side of the story ill hear her side and then I, I usually say like we’re friends right like you guys are friends with one another so what’s going on. And then the next day they are fine.

Flora: Yea that’s how it usually is hahahaa

 

Observational skills play an important role in a classroom. Having the skill to observe your classroom gives you a better understanding of your students and you will be able to identify what issues are at play. me with different approaches to teaching something. o in order to solve any issues within the classroom. Observi While observing you will spark with new ideas and come up with different approaches to problem solving. Just like this teacher, you will soon learn what approaches work and what does not work.

No comments:

Post a Comment